The village was first recorded in 1603.
The patron saints of the church are Saints Constantine and Helen. The church was built around the year 1866, through the efforts of the small community from Aspra. The inhabitants of this village had the ambition to build their own special place for prayers and worship.
The wooden structure is covered with clay on the exterior. The interior walls are made with all the skills of the local craftsmen. The church is built of round and un-planed trunks of wood. The joining of these beams follows the traditional pattern of building peasant houses. There is a porch and a large room which was enlarged to make room for the four sided apse. The light in the church comes through the three windows situated on the southern side, the two windows placed on the northem side, and through the one situated behind the Altar, in the wall of the apse.
The roof is made in one iece and has a bell-tower covered with shingles. Over it there is a
small square spire, round at the top, where there is a cross with three arms. There are other crosses at the ends of the copings.
There is a balcony in the pronaos, and the vault of the nave and of the Altar is shaped like a half- cylinder. It is covered with wooden boards, and it is painted in a distinctive style.
The vault of the Sanctuary is covered with stars on a blue background and, in the center of this ceiling we find the Holy Spirit, in a large circle. St. Gregory, dressed as an Hierarch, is painted on the side wall, next to a painting of a priest holding a censer.
On the parapet of the balcony from the nave there are scenes with Adam and Eve, and on the side wall there is a panel inspired by local scenes. The vault of the nave has a central painting of the Holy Trinity, in a large circle. In the corners, there are the four Evangelists, in large circular frames, with their names in Latin letters.
The small church has a splendid chandelier made of carved and painted wood and shaped as a sphere complete with candlesticks.
The Iconostasis has three openings. Above the holy doors, it is painted with two beautiful chains of roses, one on a blue background and the other on a brown background. In the upper part, there is the tier with icons of the Apostles, painted directly onto the iconastasis. The Apostles stand close one to the other and they have distinctive identifying features on each one. Jesus on the cross is painted on the next tier, at the centre.
Sursa: Wooden churches from Maramures