The settlement was first recorded in 1593 as a domain of Gherla Fortress.
It seems that, the wooden church with Saint Dumitrius as its patron saint, was built around 1604. The carving over the door, dating from around 1802, conﬁrms that this construction is a restoration and not a new construction, as some consider it to be.
It is certain that this small church has very old features: the pronaos is in the form of a porch, the passage door to the nave has no side openings to allow women to see the nave, the simple straight sided roof, and a small spire with a cross on the front of the church. A bell-tower rises directly from the roof having a watchtower and a balcony. It is covered by another spire that is octagonal at the bottom, and rounded at the top, resting upon four pillars linked by a double corona overlapped in the form of a cross. The supporting pillars are strengthened with lateral braces, in the shape of rounded steps. The parapet is made of shingles and it has a railing decorated in a raised twisted rope pattern.
The upper apart of the entrance doorframe is an arch decorate with patterns and raised
saw-teeth, zig-zags, little hearts, crosses and twisted ropes, as well as a very well reserved inscription in Slavonic. The beam that farms the southern pillar is carved in two stages with raised decorations. The beams are dovetailed at their comers, and the upper ones are extended in order to form small, neatly rounded brackets.
The inside paintings bears the signature of its painter Opris Georgie from Baia Sprie. He probably painted it in 1840, along with other church restorations. This painter only repainted the church, as the original characteristics and style, seen in the development of the panels, the themes, and also the colors used preserve the old local traditions.
Inside the pronaos we can admire a Wheel of Life, guarded by the sun and moon, painted as two human characters. The main stages in man’s life are symbolized by human faces instead of spokes, with Cyrillic inscriptions. We can see “The Tree of Life” shown between “Abraham” and “lsaac”, “The Torments of Hell complete with devils bearing horns”, “The Ten foolish Bridesmaids and the ten wise bridesmaids” and other scenes.
On the northern wall of the nave, there is a painting of Saints standing, each holding a big cross in their arms. On the southern wall there are scenes from the New Testament such as: “From Anna to Caiaphas”, “Pilate”, “Golgotha”, “Jesus Taken Down the Cross”, ”]esus’ Burial” and others.
The Holy Doors have disappeared from the lconastasis, but their frames are painted with the faces of St. Eftimie the Great and the Pious Anthony, and above these disposed in three tiers there are specific scenes, on a blue background,
framed by colonnades and circular medallions and linked by rings, creating the impression of a chain. A raised frieze paint with twisted ropes, spirals, fret-sawn teeth, rhombuses and accolades decorates the space above the Holy Doors. All these motifs are also present on the sidewalls, up to the same level, under another pattern of a twisted rope.
The Sanctuary preserves a few scenes of Saints’ faces in pleasant color scheme. The Altar is made of carved stone, and there are some sacred objects on it: a cross of carved wood, two censers and some candlesticks. The church also has some icons on wood. Also some very special icons on glass “The Ascension of Jesus” an “Jesus-the Pantocrator”.
There is a valuable cross-shaped chandelier painted and decorated with raised grapevines on its sides, and another rare cross o wrought iron sadly affected by the passing of the years. The wrought iron cross is inserted in a circle, with Half-moons on the corners and was once on the top of the bell-tower.